HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Help required ..model scarecrow

#1 2008-04-14 12:55:23

paulo86

Help required ..model scarecrow

Hello all,

I am wanting to create a small model scarecrow (30 cm in length) for a display board in my classroom. I am trying to create a 3d poster, and so the scarecrow will need to be light enough to be wall mounted with little effort!

The design for the scarecrow must match that of my existed 2d poster, but I am unsure the best mix of papier mache to use to allow the model to be light enough.

Any ideas on where to start would be gratefully received.

Cheers

#2 2008-04-15 00:11:03

CatPerson

Re: Help required ..model scarecrow

I would start by using an armature of lightweight wire or maybe some twigs bundled and tied together to make the basic shape you want.

Then you could add papier mache to build it up and add clothing. If you wanted it to look like it is made of straw (etc), you could glue on shredded raffia where it would show, then cover with "clothing", which could be made from paper or pieces of fabric dipped in thinned glue (excess glue removed).

Unless you add heavy materials, a basic PM or even cloth mache scarecrow isn't going to weigh very much when it's dry.

Sue

#3 2008-04-15 00:11:36

burrumgirl

Re: Help required ..model scarecrow

Hi There Paulo86,  I have found that all papier mache is light as long as your armature is light and you don,t use flour and water paste to glue it.   Use wood working glue watered down slightly or wallpaper paste.  Papier Mache feels heavy when it is wet but light when thoroughly dry . Your armature could be thin guage wire or cardboard cylinders found in paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls, or just rolled card.  Head and body shaped balls can be made with scrunched up newspaper, then taped with masking tape, then either left as is covered with paper pulp (there are heaps of recipes on this site) or laminated with paper strips. Basically paper is light, it is when layers of flour glue and heavy wooden or  wire armatures are used that the pieces get heavier.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

Board footer