HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Inspiring + intro

#1 2008-03-20 19:58:27

handitak

Inspiring + intro

Wow, you guys are inpsiring, and I love looking at all your work, its just awesome. I wanted to thank you for the tips posted, and the help that seems readily available.

I want to make LOTS of PM things!!

Intro: I am mainly a painter, and hold my BFA. One of the most enjoyable classes i took at University was Sculpture, but, I dont have the space to be doing big plaster projects etc anymore. I think PM will be the way to go.

I just finished Aslans head for the play I am helping to direct, and I found a love for PM and its versatility. I am looking forward to using PM pulp and seeing what I can create with it, Aslans head was created using layers of wallpaper pasted paper-strips over an amature.

I was born in the UK, and have been living in the USA with my American husband and 4 children (15, 12, 3 and 1) since 1998. We recently moved from the East Coast to the West.

I think I am going to try making some dolls, combining fabric bodies with PM faces. I also have some other ideas for mixed media work.

For now, I am content to try the easy PM paste of just pulp and glue, I have never heard of adding things, and feel a little out of my league -- baby steps!!

I really look forward to getting to know you all and becoming part of this community!!

#2 2008-03-21 02:03:42

burrumgirl

Re: Inspiring + intro

Hi Handitak, Welcome to the forum.  I have not been here long myself, but enjoy all the advice and input from the people here.  They are all very generous with their information, so you won't have any trouble getting help. I am sure you will find PM a lot more forgiving than plaster, but not necessarily less messy. Anyway again I say, WELCOME.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#3 2008-03-21 18:15:07

newmodeller
Website

Hi and welcome.

If you are going to have a go at dolls get yourself a couple of good, inspiring books.
My personal favourites are Suzanne Oroyan's books;
Finishing the Figure
and Designing the Doll.
Both of these are fantastic, she showcases most of the key art doll makers.  She also gives you good ideas on armature and cloth techniques and also excellent final touches.
There are also some fantastic creators on the web who are happy to help.
Littlebitwired springs to mind, she sells on Etsy and is very approachable if you want help.

Dive in and have fun, I am looking forward to seeing your gallery.
Charlotte

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#4 2008-03-21 18:31:52

handitak

Thanks for all the info, you are no slouch yourself with dolls (I just finished looking aty your work!!)

It will be a while before I have a gallery here, the only PM thing I have is Aslans head, but hopefully soon!

Im primarily a painter, here is one of my pieces:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f159/laineyleee/mm.gif

Last edited by handitak (2008-03-21 18:34:33)

#5 2008-03-21 21:49:08

Moni

Hi  and welcome,
You'll find paper mache is addictive. Your painting is fantastic. I wish I could paint "flat" like that. I have no sense of how to add dimension to a flat surface. I can only mimic real life shapes with sculpture. My husband says I only see 3-D....Moni

My cat is my best friend!

#6 2008-03-21 22:09:28

Jackie
Website

Moni - you made me laugh with your comments...I too call paintings "flat art" smile

I agree though that your painting Handitak is lovely and I'm sure you'll do extremely well combining your skills with papier mache.

Jackie

#7 2008-06-22 15:38:35

butterbee

I know I am a little late on this, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum too handitak!

I've looked all over the internet and this is the best place that I've ever found when it comes to papier-mache. The people are so nice and helpful here. I look forward to seeing all your future projects!

#8 2008-06-23 15:52:39

dopapier

Good to see you on board.  We should have piped your arrival!
Great painting.  There are so many ways of approaching papier mache technique that you can find a solution for most problems.  If you become an addict (join the throng!) your children might even catch the bug.   Better find something nice for your husband to do - unless he catches it too!!
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer