HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

discoloration

#1 2003-05-17 01:04:25

discoloration

Jackie  -- you mentioned that the only problem you have had with something discoloring is when you used clear polyurathene over white. I have had this problem as well and would like to know if you have found anything else to seal your work.

#2 2003-05-17 10:25:01

Jackie
Website

Re: discoloration

Hi Julie,

I usually use white (pva) glue as a sealer over white areas. I often use it over the whole of an object as well. It protects and makes the item water resistant. It leaves a soft sheen. It is marvellous stuff, being useful as an adhesive and a sealer.

You can buy an artist varnish which is clear and will stay perfectly clear. It is rather expensive but may be worth it on occasions for a special piece if you really want it varnished.

Whatever you use, but particlularly with varnish, the key is to apply very thin coats. Several thin coats are much better than one thick one.

Polyurethane varnish is OK for coloured areas, or if you want an "aged" look.

Hope this helps.

Jackie

#3 2003-08-23 19:16:22

newsharon

Is pva glue the same as Podge?

Sharon

#4 2003-08-23 19:17:02

newsharon

Is pva glue the same as Podge?  and is it the same as waterproofing with varathane or varnish?  (I am thinkingof outdoor birdhouses).

Sharon

#5 2003-08-25 22:05:01

Jackie
Website

Hi Sharon,

It's probably much the same without the trade name and the choice of finishes (e.g. glossy etc). PVA can be used as a sealer to make things water resistant (not proof) if you use several coats of it undiluted.

Jackie

Board footer