HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Heart-felt thanks and introduction

#1 2007-12-04 21:38:46

scyllac14

Heart-felt thanks and introduction

I am Scylla (see-lah) Earls, from Oregon, USA. I joined this site in October, took me til now to get it together to say Thank you, Jackie and Russ!  This website is brilliant, and I am so happy to find some avid papier-mache'iers to interact with.

I look forward to learning from all of you how to use the paper pulp...it has mostly annoyed me in the past (to be fair, I'm sure I annoyed it equally).

My method is to model originals in plasticine and then create positive casts by layering on newsprint and kraft paper with Modge Podge matte medium for glue. These positives can then be appliqued to boxboard structures, blended together with more paper layers, paper mosaic, etc. to make large, lightweight, and quite durable constructions.

Thanks to all for sharing your ideas and images. Very inspiring!

#2 2007-12-05 13:07:25

Jackie
Website

Re: Heart-felt thanks and introduction

Thank you and welcome Scylla!

Working with pulp takes a bit of practice as there are so many different kinds of paper, but it is very satisfying to work with. Please let us know how you get on.

Jackie

#3 2007-12-06 08:19:07

newmodeller
Website

Re: Heart-felt thanks and introduction

Welcome Scylla,

like you I preferred postive casts (I still like the technique) but I have persevered with pulp and now find that I enjoy it as a medium as well.  I do struggle with the long drying periods as I am a fairly impatient person but it can be wonderfully versatile. 

I am looking forward to seeing your work in the gallery.
Charlotte

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

Board footer