HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

New to paper mache

#1 2007-10-18 00:29:06

Tia

New to paper mache

I have been trying out some really simple things, but I know I shall soon grow bored of making bowls and mail holders hehehe. So are there any getting started tips or techniques that make more advanced projects easier. Right now I just use paper strips and flour paste. I would love to learn more about the craft... so any suggestions or insight for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Tia (2007-10-18 00:33:00)

*Because I'm the princess, thats why*

#2 2007-10-18 18:59:11

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Re: New to paper mache

XD There's so many things you can make with paper mache, it's so hard to just narrow it down.

What would YOU liek to make? I'm pretty sure that whatever you want to make it possible with paper mache.  What about figures?

(Kick ass, you live in Georgia : D 45 minutes away from me no less XD)

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

#3 2007-10-18 19:30:44

Tia

Wow thats crazy that I get onto the site with people from all over the world and find someone from HINESVILLE GA!!! thats so cool. I used to live there. I was there last week for the funeral of a great lady that I met while I lived there.

As for paper mache, I like the bigger projects... like I would love to make a "life sized" mermaid to hang in my bathroom. and something cool for my sons room.

and I have a question about the paper pulp method.... so once you create the pulp...then what? do  you shape it into your design or is it used for a top coat or what?

Very nice to meet a fellow Georgian (even tho I'm not really from Ga) But its cool anyway. Hope to talk to you again soon!

#4 2007-10-19 18:32:33

newmodeller
Website

Welcome,
have a go and think big, although a word of caution on Papiermache in the bathroom, it would be difficult to keep the moisture out and would need several layers of yacht varnish to keep it watertight.

Pulp is fabulous and very versatile, it does take a long time to dry, but is great used for modelling over an armature of card, plastic, wire... what ever takes your fancy.

Have a look at the following and see what you think

http://www.nivescicinsain.com/

and of course all the galleries in here.
Best of luck and have a go.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#5 2007-10-20 12:43:28

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Any tips and info look in tutorials and articles and for inspiration just look in the gallery. You can make anything from papier mache.
Sue

#6 2007-10-20 20:18:48

CatPerson

What do you WANT to make? A lifesized baby elephant? A decorated mirror? Dolls? Masks? Storage containers? Furniture?

Sue

#7 2007-10-21 02:52:52

Tia

I like the furniture idea. And dolls. mermaids, fairies, fish, dinosaurs, big flowers, and larger scale statue type things. like "life sizes". I have checked out the tutorials... some great things there. I want to try to mermaid marionette... and the chair and daisy flowers.... where do I get rice paper from anyway?

But I'm working on a fish right now I will let ya know how it comes out.

#8 2007-10-21 18:53:43

dopapier

don't worry about rice paper.  As you get used to the working property of papers, you will be able to choose the one you want for a specific purpose.  Rice paper is fine but very strong and can be expensive.
Newspaper is really good and doing about six alternate layers of that with kraft (brown) paper makes an amazingly strong laminate.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer