HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Paper mache armor question

#1 2007-08-26 05:16:14

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Paper mache armor question

For lack of a better subject title, it's paper mache armor X_____x

Anyway! I'm currently working on a costume that has quite a bit of armor on it. Most of the pieces I have no problem working with at all and I'm able to figure out how to make it and keep it on my person.  But. I'm having trouble with the arm gauntlets on account of the fact that they wrap tightly around the wrist, forearm and just before the elbow. I can't slip my hand comfortably into something that goes to the size of my wrist (my wrist is 5 1/2 inches where as my hand at the narrowest I can get is 7.)

The main problem is making it so I'm able to put it on without damaging the spikes or claw pieces. I tried making the loops that go around the arm with a single strip of cardboard wrapped around a bottle that is the same size as required. I then paper mached that strip so that it would come out as curved. Now, I'm able to remove it and move this strip around and it doesn't break the paper. Here's where I'm having trouble.

While I can put the loop on, I want a way to secure it down so it doesn't go flapping around, but at the same time I want it to look like it's part of the piece of armor. I was thinking of taking a small piece of cardboard and making it into a flat small loop that I can put both ends of the original loop in. But I'm not sure if that will work or not.

Can anyone offer any solutions to my problem, or perhaps give me a different approach to it?

Here's the links to the picture, so you all can get  a better look at the problem.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z53/ … rkSide.jpg

Sadly, this is the only picture that shows the arm gauntlets from the underside and not just the spiked up pieces.

-Psycho Aco

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

#2 2007-08-26 07:50:19

newmodeller
Website

Re: Paper mache armor question

You may find that you need to look at actual armour design to get this to work.  From what little I can remember from visits to armouries here in the UK most arm protectors cover the upper surface and buckled on to the undershirt.

you may have to resort to velcroed loops to hold it in place.  Or could you use a flesh toned stockinette that you could slide your arm into with the armour glued to the stocking

http://ils.unc.edu/~allen/newarmour.html

I found this and wonder if you might get some help from him.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#3 2007-08-26 16:14:51

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

I originally thought of glueing the pieces to the glove, but I can't do that unfortunetly. Like I said in my first post, my wrist is 5 1/2 inches and even if I move my thumb to the inside of my hand, I can barely get it to be 7 inches. So if I glued the piece onto the glue, I would have a problem trying to get it on.

The velcro idea may work though. But I would need to figure out where to put it so that it keeps the piece looking like one entire loop and not a loop with a cut in it.

Also, thanks for the armoring website : D  Sadly, it's not the type of information I'm looking for D: 

But thank you! Suggesting velcro gave me an idea that just might work : D I'll have to stop by walmart to get some velcro :p

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

#4 2007-08-27 21:23:07

iforgot

only thing i can think of is two make it top and bottom.

Make the top hinged (embed some material, along the seam, ancherd in place with some pins, coverd up. Do that on both parts to make a "U" shaped clamshell.

then embed some rings into the open edge, oppisete each other. Now 2 of these , at diffrent places.

By routing some material through the bottom ring, behind your arm, through the top ring, back down infront of your arm, through the other rign,then through a second ring at the bottom, over that and then back through the 1st ring at the bottom.

Pulling on the material, will cause the calmshell to close, and it to grab down onto your arm. The 2 rings at the bottom will bite into the materical in the same way that is popular with some belts...

_________________ ( 2)
\
\__________________(1 ) (3 )

SO tied onto 1 then into the clamshell, so that it goes around your arm in a c shape up through 2, straight down, through both 1 and 3, then over 3 and through 1.

Pull tight.

Board footer