HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Night Light covers with PM attached...Can this be done? Is it safe?

Night Light covers with PM attached...Can this be done? Is it safe?

#1 2007-07-28 13:04:18

trixyinaz

Night Light covers with PM attached...Can this be done? Is it safe?

I was thinking of doing some kiddie night lights to put in a gift bag for the kids at my DD's birthday party next year (yep, I'm a planner).

Most of the ones you get at the stores come with a plastic cover and I was thinking of attaching something that I make from my PM to make it more personalized and "fun" for them.  For instance, a flower for the girls and maybe a truck for the boys.

Do you know if the PM would be safe to attach to the plastic cover seeing as it might get hot?  I don't recall any of our night light covers getting hot, but you never know and I'd feel horrible if it started a fire or something like that.

Thanks!

Trixy

#2 2007-07-28 14:26:31

newmodeller
Website

Re: Night Light covers with PM attached...Can this be done? Is it safe?

You can definitely use papiermache with electric lights as both bases and as lampshades.  Although the books I have looked at never actually specify what is used as a fire retardant, although usage is mentioned.

Realistically the heat output from a night light, is pretty low, the resistance needed to produce the glow is minimal and as a result the element doesn't get white hot.  With a long life bulb the heat output is even less, the glow is produced using a powder system and not forcing electricity along a resistant element.

HOWEVER.  I would be very wary of applying PM to a plastic night light shade or removing the shade and adding your own, although there is little chance of fire it is not beyond the realms of possibility.  If the worst was to happen with gift you had made ..........

What I would be inclined to do instead is approach it from a different angle, why not make a night light screen,  Construct a frame using dowelling or thin wood, Make an insert for each section of the screen with opaque card or pm laminate and cut out a scene/shapes in each one.  Put the screen around the night lights so that you have enough light to illuminate the holes.  I would aim for a square frame with four screens that have enough distance from the light source to prevent any issue over safety.  They could be put on a table in the childs room.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Night Light covers with PM attached...Can this be done? Is it safe?

Board footer