HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Drying papier-mache in a crockpot

#1 2007-06-16 17:06:39

butterbee

Drying papier-mache in a crockpot

I had plaster mold that I am trying to use papier-mache in, and I've noticed since the mold is so deep, it takes a long time to dry. It has been so hot lately that I didn't want to start my oven, so I tried putting the piece in a Crockpot with the top just cracked enough for the evaporating water to escape, and it dried in no time flat. I am so happy since this means I can work on the piece without having to wait a day for each layer.

This of course would only work for small papier-mache pieces, but it does work without heating up the whole kitchen.

What can I say? I am crazy when it comes to papier-mache.  :oops:

#2 2007-06-20 21:57:37

butterbee

Re: Drying papier-mache in a crockpot

Wow, just wow. I am shock to find out my little Crockpot experiment worked and even though I am limited to small pieces, what used to take me a week now takes me an hour.

I was floored today when I put a completely wet piece in, which had at least four or five layers on it - and it was dry within the hour!  yikes

Hurray for finding a way to speed up the drying process of papier-mache! I might actually completely some projects now.  :oops:

#3 2007-10-28 20:21:33

awalling

You mentioned that you have dried the projects in your oven?  Can you expound on that?  I am trying to make a turtle shell for my son's Halloween costume and really need to get it done.  IT is too large for the crockpot - so tell me about how to do it in the oven?  Temperature - time???

#4 2007-10-29 13:58:35

Shali

Hi Butterbee!

I have many small pieces to get dry. Could you please tell me  in an "easier" (;-)))))))) way (I don't understand English well) what are you doing? I know the meaning of crock and pot but I don't know if when these words are together (Crockpot) they have another meaning.

I think I'm improving my English since I am in this forum but it is not enough yet!!!!!   :-(((((

Excuse me to ask you that but I also like everything of PM and I think you have a great solution to the PM drying process.

As I live on the beach I have other kind of problems like salt and high humidity from the sea that it takes more time to drying pieces.

Thank you
Shali

Today is a beautiful and blessed day!!!

#5 2007-10-29 17:54:57

CatPerson

A crockpot is a large clay pot that fits into a metal base, and the base plugs into an electrical outlet in the wall.  It is intended for cooking casseroles and stews over several hours. The lids are often clear plastic or glass.

I am assuming that Butterbee has her pot on LOW.

Here is one for an example:  http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … %26hl%3Den

Sue

#6 2007-10-29 17:58:20

CatPerson

One question I have on this method is the temperature control.

Normally, a crockpot contains a substantial amount of moist material that will control (and be controlled by) the thermostat. A PM item would not be heavy or moist enough to limit the on/off of the thermostat.

I am wondering if using the crockpot this way could damage the thermostat, like running a microwave with nothing in it?

Maybe it's best to find a used pot at a yard sale and not use your best one?

Sue

#7 2007-10-30 05:49:52

butterbee

Sorry I haven't been around for a while to answer your questions guys! I stopped doing papier-mache for a short while, but now I am back at it. Thank goodness for CatPerson! i am so happy that Sue is around.

To answer your questions about the crockpot, I found that it dried pieces really well - but of course it limited you to small pieces. I thought about the problem and then though that what I needed was something like a cheap homemade food dehydrator to dry my pieces quickly and then found these fantastic instructions on the internet to build one.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/de … tryder.htm

This is cheap, quick and easy for those people who want to have something that dries their pieces without needed to monopolize their ovens, or be limited to the amount of space of a crockpot.

I hope this idea is help to everyone. <3

#8 2007-10-30 09:29:25

Shali

Thank you Sue and Butterbee.

Shali

#9 2007-10-30 15:32:50

butterbee

Let us know how it goes please Shali. big_smile

#10 2007-10-30 19:12:18

Shali

Hi Butterbee:

You can't imagine: I'm laughing alone!!!!! I have many dictionaries around my room, many notes and my "own PM forum glossary" since I came to this forum but almost always (Oh, God) I have gramatical doubties!!!!!!! Almost always I read new words or expressions. But... I won't give up!!! and of course, I'd like to let anybody without an answer.

Sue has helped me many times!!!! I hope she doesn't give from me up! Oops... and you and everybody in this forum too!!!
;-)))))

So... what do you (exactly) like to know????

Shali

#11 2007-11-01 17:27:55

CatPerson

Shali, one of the most difficult things about English is the idioms, or figures of speech which, to someone who is not familiar with them, make absolutely no sense at all. Even Americans and the British who speak the same language, often don't understand common slang or local phrases.

"Let us know how it goes" means to let us know what happens when you work on your projects. You can say the paper kept tearing, or the glue was too thick and next time you will make it thinner, or you didn't add enough layers, or it was too lumpy, or other things like that.

We are all learning more about papier mache, and sometimes someone will post an experience that solves a problem most of us have had.

Sometimes we come up with NEW problems!

You are doing fine, Shali, and your English is very good, far better than my "Dictionary Portuguese"!

Sue

#12 2007-11-02 09:07:24

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi all
Not wanting to confuse anybody but in the uk a crockpot is a clay pot with a lid you put in a oven and what you call a crockpot is what we call a slow cooker.
Sue

#13 2007-11-02 12:57:17

Shali

Sue, I know what you mean. Really I don't care because it almost impossible to know a language as the native does. The same happens with portuguese from Brazil and Portugal and even here in Brazil that is a very big country sometimes people from south and north don't understand each other because of the local expressions.

I like to learn new things and a good way for me to improve a language is to write, read and repeat any words and expressions. I like that and I like to change knowledge but that day, was very funny to me!!!!

So, thank you once more Sue and your "portuguese" was very good. I could understand everything!!!

Shali

#14 2007-11-05 01:54:39

Shali

Hi Butterbee:

Now I know what you'd like to know.
I'm trying to show my work for people. It's the first time I do that and they are liking. I've already have an ordering!!! Wow!! I'm happy. I'm working hard because Christmas is coming and it's a good opportunity to sell some pieces.

Shali

#15 2007-11-24 11:36:28

Mir
Website

Hi,
for those of you wondering like me what is a crockpot smile, I found this description so now I know.
" An enclosed vessel that is used to cook food at low temperatures using the 'slow cooker' technique. The chief advantage being that, once all the ingredients are assembled in the pot, it can be turned on (this appliance runs on electricity) and left to complete the cooking process over several hours without supervision."
It seems it is also called slow cooker.Though I think there isn't such appliance here on the market.Basically it seems to me the same as putting a clay pot in your oven but it is more convenient with this crockpot.
Anyway I am now trying to build  the dehydrator, described  in one of the other posts.I will tell you  how it works later.

#16 2007-11-24 12:10:56

Shali

Hi Mir:

Good explanation. Thank you and good luck with your project. I'll wait anxiously your "report"!!!

Shali

#17 2007-11-25 02:48:13

CatPerson

To those of you who have used a crock pot to dry pieces:  Did you have any problems with warping or twisting of the piece?  I was wondering if that would be an issue with fast drying.

Sue

#18 2007-11-27 13:12:34

Seeria

Hiya Sue
You questioned if it will damage the thermostat. I looked through my users manual but didn't see anything saying it would.

I often cook single items (food that is) with mine and haven't seen a problem. Not sure I'd use a brand new one for PM seeing how expensive they are, though I'd try it if I could find a large used one at the thrift store. smile

#19 2007-11-27 13:38:12

butterbee

CatPerson: I never had a problem with twisting or warping. The one thing that I liked was that you could put on heavy layers of papier-mache and it still dried well.

I do have to confess I try it too many times, before I decided to build myself a full size dryer so I am by no means an expert at using it - but it is what I experienced the few times I did use it before I moved on the bigger and better things. wink

#20 2007-11-29 04:16:15

CatPerson

"... before I moved on the bigger and better things."

Ah, yes! Daughter Dearest, would you mind moving to the basement so I can use your bedroom as a papier mache drying room for my really LARGE pieces?

8-)

Sue

Board footer