HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

when is it stealing?

#1 2003-03-24 18:10:42

when is it stealing?

Hey Everybody:
I've begun teaching art to gradeschool children. In addition to creating works in papier mache' and several other mediums, we discuss the intangilble aspects of art and artists like creativity and inspiration. We also strive for originality in the art we create. My question is this: How do you all feel about using other people's designs when creating papier mache'? I see some PM artists using objects as forms or molds which are not of their own design. I realize a bowl is not a particularily original design, and the real creativity in making a PM bowl comes from the way an artist creates texture, color, etc...but what about someone say, making an animal (like a giraffe or something) from a ceramic piece from another artist? Is this stealing? I would love to hear some thoughts on this matter.
Thank you for such a wonderful website!
PP

#2 2003-03-24 18:39:52

Rachel

Re: when is it stealing?

Hi, I think this is a great question, especially to raise in a class.
My opinion is that only the artist really knows for sure if they are stealing or not. If they feel that they have brought their own energy to the piece, then they are not stealing. Any grown up person who wants to be an artist could not be a design thief. Deep down, they will always know that they are just a copyist. Any child or student who copies will learn something by doing so. This is more of a learning of technique rather than self expression, but both are essential to creating a good work of art.
artists for all of time have used the designs of others and been inspired by their peers. It is an age old method of learning to copy the works of other artists. Observing and copying the work of any great artist is always a learning experience, and can often bring the student closer to their understanding of the reason the great artist chose to make that piece of art. If you visit the Louvre or any other big museum, there is always a student in the room somewhere copying something.

#3 2003-03-25 12:53:40

Karen
Website

Really believe Rachel covered the subject of "stealing." Would like to add that a purposeful replication of a work of art for commercial purposes IS stealing. Beyond that, it seems, an artist is open to all ideas. I may see some aspect of Rachel's work or Jackie's work that I love. I may try to incorporate that aspect into my own work. But, to mimic something exactly? What fun would that be? My art then, would not mine.
karen
www.farroutart.com

#4 2003-03-27 12:20:23

Francine
Website

Rachel your answer was great!
I would be proud if any child would use my designs if it can help a child to learn a new technique go for it!

Walk into my life, come visit me at..... www.fmc12.homestead.com/
See you soon!

#5 2003-06-22 18:00:59

rozani
Website

Hello.

Your question is a very good one.  The term "stealing" is relative to the intent in which you are using it.  People need a place to start and copying can be done with permission and certain disclaimers.  If it is only a personal project and not intended for commercial applications, then it becomes a valuable learning process and the ultimate form of flattery.

Gift giving and personal use for keepsakes is what individuals most commonly do with their copies.  However, if you have any doubts, contact the artist for permission.  There are copyright and trademark laws that  protect artists from infringement.  There are also things called "knock-offs" which are purposely copied.

It is stealing when it is an intentional act.  Piracy, counterfeiting and forgery are acts of stealing.  There are information sources available on these topics which can help you understand the differences.  An example would be that a professional costume company cannot in anyway create a Disney character or name for purposes of profit and promotion.  Costumers are granted licensing rights to carry certain product lines.  That is in the industry. 

Here is what many have done.  State that it is a copy and give credit to the artist if there is any doubt.  That shows your respect for the artists work.  It is simple to do and can be acknowledged verbally and in writing.  The teaching of a technique is not an infringement. 

I have been contacted many times by students who ask for my permission to use images or written text in their reports.  I have granted them the rights to use any of these things for educational and recreational purposes.  It was nice of them to ask and I was heart warming that they did so.

Hope this helps.

Rozani

Board footer