HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Making it last

#1 2003-03-01 18:03:44

Dave P

Making it last

I am making a paper mache "house fish" for my kitchen, and having a great time with it too.
I want the little beastie to last, though(well he's not so little, 46" long). I started with a styrofoam form, I used a flour recipe with salt, and am planning on a coat of gesso, some sanding, then paint, then maybe polyurethane to seal it all. Is there anything else I can do to help it last? Is this the right direction?

PS I got all this info from this site and various links...what a great resource!
Dave P

#2 2003-03-02 16:54:06

Jackie
Website

Re: Making it last

Hi Dave,

I think lots of coats of polyurethane varnish would be advisable here. (Several thin coats). This will not only protect it but will allow you to give it a wipe occasionally with a damp cloth.

One of the most important things to remember though before varnishing, is to make sure that the papier mache is absolutely 100% bone dry.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun making your fish. There is something very satsifying in making an item either much larger or much smaller than usual.

Jackie

#3 2003-03-04 00:54:11

Dave P

Re: Making it last

thanks Jackie. I've got more projects in mind, I'm really liking this medium. I'll post some pics later as I progress!
Dave P

Board footer