HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

help? please?

#1 2003-02-15 02:15:37

help? please?

Hey,

First off, thank you to Jackie, I think, the lady who does this site. It's helped me so much!

My project is a "innovative design" for a school fashion parade. The idea is to use odd materials. I've decided to try papier mache (newspaper and tissue paper) for the skirt.

I thought I'd get some bendy chicken wire, mould it into the skirt's shape and then layer on the papier mache. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips, they can be really basic! on any part of the process.

Oh, and I want the newpaper print showing, so does anyone know what I should seal it with?

Thanks, Fallyn

Email: fallyn_angell@yahoo.com

#2 2003-02-15 02:38:52

Re: help? please?

sorry, my email is fallyn_angell@yahoo.com.au

#3 2003-02-16 00:11:27

Jackie
Website

Thanks Fallyn,

I'm no expert on making costumes out of papier mache so I think there are others that could advise you better here, though I would have thought that chicken wire might make your skirt a bit heavy and sticky outy. I think I would use some wire to form the outline of the skirt and then make a frame out of lots of strips of thin card, taped togther with masking tape and then papier mached over. 

If you want the newsprint to stay, a great sealer would be good old pva (white) glue. Water it down a bit and brush it on. This will protect and strenghen it at the same time.

I hope someone can give you some more help.

Jackie

#4 2003-02-16 03:57:28

I think you're on the right track with the chicken wire. If you can bend it into a cone shape with the top approximately the diameter of your waist, you can use it for an armature(frame). Glue about 6 or 8 layers of newspaper over it with your favorite glue(I like Elmer's or Ross' art paste). When dry, you can snip the chicken wire with a wire cutters, and pull it off the paper(more comfortable to wear). You can seal it with the PVA as Jackie said, or any number of varnishes-keep in mind the newspaper will yellow in a few weeks no matter what you use...AND be careful when wearing the skirt in the parade, if you trip, you may find yourself saying: "I've Fallyn and I can't get up!"

#5 2003-02-21 09:20:26

lol, actually the modelling involves standing on a box for over an hour... but nevermind that.

Thanks for the tips! I'll remember them! I'm still open to new ones though smile

bye

Board footer