HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Comments and Newbie Questions

#1 2007-03-21 23:49:35

Lengo

Comments and Newbie Questions

First off I gotta say, WOW!  I've barely begun looking at the user galleries, and there's just some GREAT STUFF in papier mache! Some of it is whimsical and funny, and some of it is eloquent and devine! Then there's a whole of stuff in-between. ALL of it is awesome! So, I said I gotta try this.

Now I'm stuck.

I've made my first batch of pulp. It's a wreck. It is way too lumpy (I think). What is the consistency suppose to be?

I'm using this to make a mold. I put cling wrap on a doll's face, then applied the pulp. The cling wrap does not cling. The pulp sticks to my fingers and lifts the cling wrap up.

I used what's called Border paste. This is for wallpaper borders. I figured that this is the same as wallpaper paste but I dunno. It is white, like white glue.  I mixed in two tablespoons of this + 1 teaspoon to about 1/2 cup of my pulp. I then mixed this, then kneaded it. It seems awfully wet, and much too lumpy.

I see no ingredients on the border paste, but it says GH-57 on the can. The white glue says "safe for kids" and OP-17. Is this the right stuff?

I can afford to screw up the first time, but I don't wanna repeat this mistake. Please tell me what the consistency of the pulp should be, and whether or not this "glue" is the right stuff. Also, tips on making the cling wrap fit snugly on the doll face would be very helpful.

Thanks

p.s. I've ordered some "instant papier mache" from Dick Blick online. I'm sure this will be the right consistency, but I'm eager to get started and it will be about 7 days before this arrives.

If you see spelling errors, it's becaue my fingers are glued to my keyboard!

Board footer