HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

about to dive in.....

#1 2002-10-16 12:03:02

beedjay
Website

about to dive in.....

i've been going thru the whole site, and am becoming quite excited.  been wanting to do PM for YEARS and now is the time.

plan to start out with styrofoam balls, 4 kids and make pumpkins.  then i would like to try xmas tree ornaments the same way....i love little fairies -i make them out of sculpey(polymerclay)- but if i get into PM i'd like to try some more interesting xmas tree ornaments like that.

i really like the idea of turning my back on the SHOPPING craze of xmas and spending special time with children creating and talking about what matters.  also, as gifts, i think something homemade with love is just so much more precious....and want to be the one brave enough to promote that sort of thing.  someday maybe i'll recieve lovely homemade gifts too.

any words of wisdom before i get going?

and most of all, i need ideas for lovely ornaments.   i want to do homemade stuff but i don't want it to be grade school quality ...i want it to be nice...
can i do decoupage on a PM ornament?
what about adding components like fabric or beads?

thank you to jackie for having such an AWESOME site...so well organised too!
big_smile

bright blessings
beedjay
www.maidenkanadah.com

'I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship'. ~Louisa
May Alcott

#2 2002-10-16 15:40:07

Karen
Website

Re: about to dive in.....

Beedjay, what a wonderful query to this forum. I think you may have found the "right" place. I experimented this year with ornaments, ones that will be part of my trunk show his month. They're simple, yet elegant. Begin with collecting sturdy herbs (rosemary is wonderful), leaves or dried flowers (paper cutouts, etc., etc.) Set these aside. Next, you will pulp paper. For my ornaments I used a natural  paper. However, you could use any paper including newsprint and add colorant. Soak paper in hot water for an hour or two to soften it. Place it through a blender. Strain it. Press as much moisture out of the pulp as possible. Place the pulp in a bowl and add adhesive, food coloring if desired. I use wallpaper paste but there are other non-toxic choices out there. (My rule of them is about 1/4 volume of paste to pulp.) Mix that well. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Space your herbs or leaves (one per ornament) cookie-sized apart. Gently press pulp on top of your herb or leaf until you have formed a "cookie." (I get six up on a cookie sheet) Cut pieces of jute (for hanger). Place on back of "cookie." Pulp over leaving only the loop for hanging purposes. Do this for each ornament. Dry on low heat in oven for several hours. Voila! Any other questions please to not hesitate to contact me farrout7@ bellsouth.net.
karen

#3 2002-10-18 12:25:07

beedjay
Website

Re: about to dive in.....

thanks for your reply karen.  that ornament idea sounds really nice.  it reminds me of the seed cards we did in the spring.  i didn't realize it was a lot like paper mache...but we soaked the newspaper overnight and made a pulp...colored it, and added seeds.  then made patties and glued them to a card and made picture around them so the recipient of the card could plant it.

i got going last nite with BALLS.  the pulp will be ready for the kids to cover the newspaper balls that i sealed last nite with strips.  i also got a bit carried away...so i may have a pumpkin garland..and i started a witch with a cardboard tube for the bodice and a cardboard cone for the dress.  hope it works out.

i'll be hanging around this forum cause then i don't feeel like i'm "on my own" with this. i've tried PM and failed a few times over the years.

bb
beedjay

bright blessings
beedjay
www.maidenkanadah.com

'I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship'. ~Louisa
May Alcott

Board footer