HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

what now?

#1 2002-10-12 22:51:05

what now?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.I just started playing with paper mache & I made the cutest little witchy lady.I absolutely love her but I don't know what to do now,she has a flowing cloak & flowing hair & I am afraid that when I try to gesso & paint & seal I will lose definition,if anyone understands what I mean.Any help is appreciated as I am now hooked & want to make more if this works.

#2 2002-10-13 17:48:11

Jackie
Website

Re: what now?

Hi Rachael,

You could use watered down white (pva) glue to seal your work. It is much thinner than emulsion or gesso.

Jackie

#3 2002-10-13 22:07:48

I will try that because i really want her to stay looking like she does right now.Except for paint,of course.Will I have to use any specific kind of paint over the glue or will anything work?Thanks again.
                                                                        Rachael

#4 2002-10-14 11:56:43

Jackie
Website

It's not quite so easy to paint onto a pva protected surface as the natural paper colour will show through so that lets out poster paints. I think you would be OK with acrylic paints - just don't use them too thickly!  big_smile

Jackie

#5 2002-10-14 20:32:13

I am going to try what you suggest.I can't wait to see how it comes out.By the way, what could i seal it with after painting?Thank you again.
Rachael

#6 2002-10-14 22:26:56

Jackie
Website

It depends what sort of finish you want....you could use varnish, pva (undiluted this time) or nothing! Sometimes it's not necessary to seal them. If you have a look in my gallery, the Mexican pot and shooting stars pots haven't been sealed with anyting at all. The Passion flower pot has been sealed with pva glue. It gives a soft sheen. Varnishing will give a strong protective finish but watch you don't put too much on your brush. Better to do 2 or 3 thin coats than one thick one.

Hope it goes well. Don't worry if you make a mistake, just paint over it! Please send us a picture when you have finished it...

Jackie

#7 2002-10-16 23:37:49

Jackie,thank you so  much for all your help.I am definitely hooked.I now have three in progress-my witchy lady,a little angel,& a fairy.Iwould love to show them off,lol,but I do not know how to post pictures.Highly embarassing,but true.
thanks
Rachael

#8 2002-10-22 15:40:22

russ
Site Admin
Website

Hi Rachael,

Don't worry, you can't actually post images on the forum! If you'd like to show your images just email Jackie and she'll set you up with your own gallery on the site.

Look forward to seeing them!

Regards,
Russ

Board footer