HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » How to you apply your paste when doing papier-mache?

How to you apply your paste when doing papier-mache?

#1 2007-03-02 01:36:57

butterbee

How to you apply your paste when doing papier-mache?

Does everyone use a paint brush when they apply the paste to the papier-mache? If so, how do you stop the brush from getting too hard with wallpaper paste after it dries? I have that problem even when I rinse it.

If you don't use a paint brush, what technique do you use to apply the paste?

#2 2007-03-02 02:55:03

CatPerson

Re: How to you apply your paste when doing papier-mache?

Tip for just that problem:  First, never use a dry brush when you start applying paste, always wet it down first, and shake off the excess.  Even better, add a bit of natural soap (like Ivory bar soap) to the brush when you wet it down, and work it into the tight part of the bristles, then shake or wipe out the excess, but don't rinse.  It helps to keep the glue from sticking to the bristles, like putting a little grease in a frying pan to prevent sticking.

Stop and clean the brush every so often.  Glue is glue, after all.

But I like using my fingers best:  When I'm first starting, say applying strips to a balloon or a plastic bottle, I apply the adhesive to one side of the strip, then apply it to the bottle.  When the whole bottle is covered, I start smearing glue on the strip-covered bottle, and then smoothing dry strips onto the wet adhesive.  If this isn't possible for some reason, like I'm fitting "custom torn"  big_smile  pieces of paper on a form with an irregular surface, I brush the adhesive onto one side of the paper and then apply it to the form.

But to tell the truth, there are no hard-and-fast rules.  Try any way that seems like it might work best for you.  The Papier Mache Police aren't lurking in your bushes, waiting to pounce on you if you to do something strange.

I have even (checking over both shoulders to see if anyone is near) smeared adhesive over a goodsized piece of paper, laid it gently onto an irregular surface, and then mashed it down with the eraser on the end of a pencil.  It didn't work so well for what I was doing, but it did show me that it's a way to get paper to cover the edge of fairly small depressions (a bit smaller than fingertip size), even though the eraser punched holes in the paper.  I'm not explaining it very well.... it was one of those you-had-to-be-there moments...  :shock:

My point is that you don't know what will work until you try.  If it doesn't work and ruins your project, well............. that's what burn barrels and garbage cans are for, right?

Sue :twisted:

#3 2007-03-02 03:05:42

butterbee

But to tell the truth, there are no hard-and-fast rules.  Try any way that seems like it might work best for you.  The Papier Mache Police aren't lurking in your bushes, waiting to pounce on you if you to do something strange.

Oh Sue, you made me laugh so much when you said that! Here I was feeling all embarrassed, because I had thrown my brush away and was using my fingers and you've done it too!

I have also been dipping the paper pieces in the paste itself, but I'll have to try to just put the paste on one side of the paper and see how that works for me. I have definitely had a problem with everything being over wet - so hopefully this will be the ticket to solve that.

#4 2007-03-02 03:41:12

CatPerson

"I have definitely had a problem with everything being over wet "

Been there, definitely done that!  But that's the way we were taught as kids.

I am slowly discovering that many of the 'olde' ways of working with PM (for the last 40-50 years) aren't really the best ways.  When PM was in its heyday (the Victorian era), they used different materials than we've been using.  There was no PVA (white glue), for one thing. 

*PVA is a plastic glue; it's even used as a sealer.  But everything that was used as an adhesive in the more distant past allowed moisture to gradually work through the piece and disperse.  Pieces from 200 years ago can still be found.  For me, PVA = incomplete drying and mold. :x

*Dipping the strips of paper into a bowl of glue certainly does saturate the strips, doesn't it?  Keeping the piece moist for a while really does seem to help the strips to meld, unless it was that thick, gooey stuff that turned out to look like pasta-encrusted paper.  If you hit it with something, the pasta cracked and the paper sometimes started coming apart.  But you don't want everything you make to act like a pinata. sad

*Thick, globby adhesive (usually flour & water) was one thing we were shown as kids.  Well, thick glue doesn't hold very well, and it takes forever to dry.

So, if the Olde Ways that you were taught aren't working, try new ways. 

Sue

#5 2007-03-02 20:48:58

newmodeller
Website

Hi,

like you both I use my hands, one of the things I love about PM is the tactile nature of the sculpting.  The only problem I have run into is that it sets off my eczema, I have tried latex gloves but found the lost sense of touch too frustrating. :x

I try to avoid PVA unless fixing a shape and have found that using some petroleum jelly on the knuckles does prevent the worst of it.

don't you find that applying paste, mixing pulp with your hands allows you to judge how well your piece will progress!

One thing though, remember to leave all the doors in your house open.  My family are starting to complain about gluey door handles.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#6 2007-03-02 21:23:04

Moni

"One thing though, remember to leave all the doors in your house open. My family are starting to complain about gluey door handles."
Newmodeller,
My husband seems to sense when I have paper mache goop all over my hands, he thinks it is the perfect time to phone home. My solution to sticky phones and doorknobs is to put a plastic bag near my work station and if the phone rings I just slip my hand into it to answer the phone. It also helps when you pet the cat, he doesn't get nearly as sticky lol .--Moni

My cat is my best friend!

#7 2007-03-02 22:03:50

Jackie
Website

I do exactly the same thing Moni!  big_smile

Jackie

#8 2007-03-02 23:01:48

dopapier

lol Well Sue (catperson) . . . you beat me.  I reckoned I could remember back quite a long way, but Victorian era . . . no, I just can't match you on that!!
I use fingers most of the time but I guess a brush is best if it troubles your skin.
I have used PVA for yonks and never have any problems with drying, mould (US mold) or anything like that.
So there!! :shock:
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#9 2007-03-03 05:20:13

CatPerson

David, I knew you were going to say something about your lovely PVA glue!

How are you doing with your methyl cellulose, which is really better, but you probably wouldn't admit it...

I have very long-lived genes.

Sue

#10 2007-03-03 14:55:03

butterbee

I actually use vinyl gloves when making my papier-mache because I worry about the long-term effects of having fungicide from the wallpaper paste on my hands.  I know that I am a huge worry wort though and I figure better safe than sorry.

newmodeller: You are right though. I find the lost sense of touch very frustrating sometimes.

#11 2007-03-03 15:17:08

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi all
I'm going to side with David on this one I love my PVA water mix it has'nt failed me yet. However i do add three drops of Ti-tree or Tea-tree oil to each batch as it has great anti fungal properties. I also have to say it has to be hands on or is that hands in ?
Sue.

#12 2007-03-03 22:24:34

dopapier

I am posting this on behalf of Julie Tretakoff, who hasn't found her way into Forum membership yet but is an avid follower of the discussions . . .

"The only gloves to work with PM and have them feel like your second skin
are latex examining gloves that are used in clinical settings. I buy mine
from a medical supply house. They do come in large  quantities, but worth
the investment. You can use them over and over until they finally rip.
The artist that recommended them to me said they fit like a condom, and
she was right."

Personally, I only wear them on my hands roll
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#13 2007-03-04 03:17:44

CatPerson

Surgical gloves are wonderful... as long as they fit right.  Be SURE to try a couple of sizes before you buy the big box (25 or 50 pairs).  The fit should be snug but not too tight.  Too loose, and you leave marks on your work.  I used some too-large ones (free) on some concrete work, and the wrinkles in them caused drag lines on the surface of the concrete.

I believe they also come in nitrile now, for those who are allergic to latex.

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » How to you apply your paste when doing papier-mache?

Board footer