HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

pumpkins

#1 2002-09-17 22:38:19

GaMom529

pumpkins

I have never done paper mache and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a form in making fall pumpkins. Thanks!

#2 2002-09-18 04:15:59

rozani
Website

Re: pumpkins

Hi There!

What a coincidence, as I happen to be working on many pumpkin projects.  I'm talking EZ and fun.  For the basics use your favorite mache' adhesive medium and some crumpled paper (Jackie's article). Here's what I do for the rest..........
1.  Armature - Set aside a large or small lump of crumpled paper.
2.  Wedges -  Make an additional  5 or 6 twisted strips that are thick.
Attach each strip vertically with masking tape for starters, followed by layered mache paper strips.  Do this one by one from top to bottom around the form and leave spaces between each one in order to create depth.  Now cover the whole thing with a big wet mache piece of paper.  Work toward the top and twist into a stem.  Smush and smooth in between the wedges.  Allow to dry.

Add color with either bleed resistant paper or craft paint.  That's it, unless you want to add a laquer coat.  I mean this is soooooo easy because it doesn't have to be perfect.  You can even make gourds with longer necks and other fun shapes.  To turn into a Jack'O-Lantern, just add facial features.  Be on the look-out for some samples which will be coming to the gallery soon.

Have fun.  big_smile  Rozani

#3 2002-09-18 12:37:18

GaMom529

Thank you so much for your help! I thought I was going to have to resort to the boring balloon. big_smile I can't wait to get started! Happy Autumn!!

#4 2002-09-19 23:57:32

rozani
Website

You are welcome.

By the way, my new pics are in place at the visitor's gallery.  Others can be seen at my Halloween home page through my rozani.com site link.  Toward the bottom of that home page there's a creepy gourd, Jack'O-Lantern and miniature as well.  These are part of my Ween Kin collection.  As with most of my projects, they were colored with crepe paper and tissue.

Though some of the temps are still hot, it shouldn't be too long before the landscape begins to change to an Autumn color scheme and decorations will grace our porches and lawns.  I hope to see more people joining in and telling us about their latest projects.  Ahemmmm..... If anyone else is reading this on the forum, this means you big_smile .

Please do let us know how your pumpkins came out.  Better yet, submit them to the gallery.

Regards,

Rozani

#5 2002-09-20 21:36:01

Jackie
Website

I agree! Please send them in. Russ is unavailable for the next couple of weeks, but as soon as he is back online he will be happy to add them to the gallery. (Gives you plenty of time to get them ready!)   big_smile

Jackie

Board footer