HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Tissue Paper For Paper Mache

#1 2001-07-29 12:17:42

Tissue Paper For Paper Mache

Hi,
Ages ago, I saw someone on TV use Tissue Paper or kitchen roll or something with a very similiar texture as paper mache (I think). I also have a book in my possession that came from a shop called paperchase and has a cover which seems to have a pulped toilet roll texture which has been dyed different colors. I would like to cover a piece of cardboard with this toilet paper texture. I'm not too concerned about dying it yet. Although It would be nice smile

Am I right in thinking paper mache can give that effect? Any tips on how to go about it? Thanks for any help you can give. It is much appreciated. smile
-John

#2 2001-08-05 19:53:20

Re: Tissue Paper For Paper Mache

Hi John,

I love working wiith tissue.  Silk or craft  tissue paper, that is.  I don't care for toilet tissue.  Toilet tissue is only good for pulp and dissolves too quickly for normal applications.  Personally, I prefer to use only bleed resistant tissues which are also available through professional florists, though not always in a variety of colors.

I'm in the U.S. and have have been able to easily find bleed resistant papers.  Crepe paper which is used for party streamers is also great for color.  It should say "Bleed Resistant" or something similar on the cover of the package.  On line, you can visit "giftwrap.com", as their craft tissue does not bleed.

Paper towels are great stuff too.  For this type of paper and for tissue or any other, you should fiirst test a sample for strength.  Also, you should adapt your adhesive accordingly.  For instance, I use "Sta Flo" liquid starch which is gentle and thin.

The use of any of the above mentioned papers in combination with the liquid starch works.  It sticks to cardboard, paper, plastic or glass just to name a few.

Here's a tip.  When using delicate papers, only dip a small piece at a time and use your fingers to gently queeze out some of the excess.  Prolonged soaking will dissolve it into pulp.  Perhaps the easiest method is through the use of sponge application.

I hope this helps, though I don't know which program you have seen.   Need more info?  If so, please drop me an e-mail.

Regards from Enterprise, Alabama,

Rozani

Board footer