HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Stronger papier Mache

#1 2002-08-04 02:30:39

Stronger papier Mache

Hi there,

I have a long shot question.  Does anyone know if there's any way to make Papier Mache in such a way that it would be weather proof?  My dad would like to make a Papier Mache bird House.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Laura

#2 2002-08-05 15:52:15

Re: Stronger papier Mache

Hi Laura,

There are going to be a few new additions to the site very soon - one of them being instructions on how to make papier mache bird houses. Bookmark the site! yikes)

Jackie

#3 2002-08-05 18:15:20

Hi Laura,

There is a kind of varnish, it's called PRETEX !!!! It's a hardener and makes the papermache wetherproof.
I'm from the Netherlands so I don't know if you can get it.

good luck Andre

#4 2002-08-05 22:49:33

Dont try Pretex. I have used that and is isn't effective enough.

It has been sold to me for the same purpose, but after a vacation my sample was soaking wet.

I am now trying "Kunsthars". I dont know wat the word is in English.

Good luck.

And if you have found a perfect way, please let me know.

#5 2002-08-18 15:49:52

Hello
I'm Terry Bishop in Canada,
In answer to your question, can Papier Mache be weatherproofed, Yes...........Can Paier Mache be Waterproofed?.....well, can anything be 100% waterproofed??

You can weatherproof your works by coating several coats of boiled lindeed oil and baking in a 250 degree oven, if the piece will fit!!
You can also add Boiled Linseed Oil to your pulp during construction

Paint as desired, then give the item 4 coats of Marine Spa Varnish, even after all this, I would suggest a sheltered spot for your works, papier mache does NOT like ti sit in water!!

Reagrding the birdhouses, I have written with photographs a how to on Birdhouses that Jackie will have up and running soon, possible your failure is that you cannot get inside the birdhouse to weatherproof the interior!!  papier Mache will soak up water like a sponge

As a matter of interest, I make lots of Birdhouses and skip the Boiled Linseed Oil treatments, I love the way they weather, as do customers that give me repeat orders, my birdhouses are all backed on driftwoods and old worn bords etc and I do like the beaten up effect that I get with papier Mache

Hoping this helps
Terry

#6 2002-12-03 20:34:49

heidi

Hi Laura,

There is a kind of varnish, it's called PRETEX !!!! It's a hardener and makes the papermache wetherproof.
I'm from the Netherlands so I don't know if you can get it.

good luck Andre

Hoi Andre,

Ik weet niet of je zin hebt om mij te helpen met papier mache - ik krijg mijn pulp gewoon niet gemaakt zodat ik hem makkelijk kan bewerken, misschien kan jij mij goede tips geven... heidi.nuyts@bigfoot.com

#7 2002-12-29 11:34:20

i would recommend yacht-varnish.

#8 2003-01-06 17:19:42

10 years ago I worked with outdoor Giants and sculptures. We used special outdoor white carpenter glue with a tiny bit of water, to make it easier to work with. The paper was several layers of "rice paper". We did not use varnish. The glue did the work. Some of the sculptures are still "alive"  big_smile

Board footer